Sunday, October 26, 2008

I've Made It Through the Rain

Cheerleading is over. It ended today, Sunday, October 26th, 2008 at 9:54am and I think it's over for good.

I say "I think" for a few reasons. We still have a banquet to attend in November and McKenna still has thank you cards to write to her coaches. I also say "I think" it's over because it's slowly ocurred to me that should McKenna ask to cheerlead again next year, I will not be able to say "no". I can say no to Pop Warner, easily. But can I really tell my child "no" to doing something she enjoys? At some point, I have to trust her to make the right choices, in essence, I have to trust me and Rob on how we have parented her.

For the next 10 months, therefore, we have decided to fill her time and brain with other things. Sunday morning cheerleading is being replaced by church attendance and Sunday school. Her cute little uniform will be replaced with a leotard or jazz pants for either ballet lessons or musical theater class respectively (she thinks she wants musical theater and who am I to argue). Supporting a team will come in the form of helping us with Robbie, cleaning the house and assisting us with cooking dinner.

Am I a prude? Perhaps...but every parent should be, because in our prudishness, she knows that she is loved.

No comments: